Day 10: Solitude
Solitude. That word can bring up many opinions and feelings. Some people think there is nothing worse than solitude and would rather surround themselves with people 24/7. There are others who would rather be in solitude at all times. However before we go on I would like to make a distinction. Isolation and solitude are different, Isolation is trying to be alone and rely totally on oneself; there is no room for others or God in that mentality. However Solitude is not forever and Jesus demonstrated times when it is necessary to be in solitude. Time spent in solitude with God is not time spent alone.
Jesus shows us when solitude is a good thing. In the examples listed below, some of which we have already read, Jesus spends time alone with His Heavenly Father before coming back together with others. If you need time alone with God seek Him but, be careful not to isolate.
- To prepare for a major task Luke 4:1-2, 14-15.
- To recharge after hard work Mark 6:30-32.
- To work through grief Matthew 14:1-13.
- Before making an important decision Luke 6:12-13.
- In a time of distress Luke 22:39-44.
- To focus on prayer Luke 5:16.